Mr. Utecht had my attention from the start when he displayed a picture of a cassette tape and pencil and challenged the high school students in the front row to find the connection between the two objects. This challenge, followed by chuckles from the children of the 80s in the audience, set the tone for his engaging history lesson on the evolution of tech and the belief that the "WE Generation" will lead the way.
Connected. Inspired. Rejuvenated. These are words that describe my experience at ITEC 2013. Making connections with other like-minded educators in the ed tech community helps me feel less like a "lonely island" and more like a member of a thriving, connected community. From informal brainstorming sessions centered around assessing the effectiveness of tech integration, to the inspirational Keynote given by Jeff Utecht, ITEC has a way of reigniting my work every year.
Later in the day, Mr. Utecht challenged educators to "give back to the web," noting a mere 10% of internet users are creators of content, while the remaining 90% are consumers. His challenge continues to encourage me as W-SR teachers scale up tech integration by making their classrooms transparent on the web via this website, www.wsrtech.com. From students blogging about the tech-friendly environments that inspire them most, to teachers sharing lessons-learned in mastering the art of the tech-rich environment, W-SR can boast that we are a part of the 10% shaping the internet as we know it.
Post Written by Sarah Lalk, Tech Integrationist
Subscribe to the technology blog, so you can stay up to date with the latest post.